7-8 Dec 2017
Conference programme is available.
5-6 Dec 2017
Workshop registration is open.
The venue for the conference is Liliesleaf Farm, one of South Africa’s foremost, award-winning heritage sites, where the journey to democracy in South Africa is honoured.Liliesleaf was purchased in 1961, at a time when the apartheid state started to clamp down more forcibly on the liberation movement. As a ‘nerve centre’ of liberation activities, the meetings that took place at Liliesleaf from 1961 to July 1963, and the events that transpired after the 1963 police raid on the property, mark a seminal shift in South Africa’s liberation struggle history, and fundamentally changed the course of South African history.
As further context to South Africa’s history, guests are recommended to visit the following museums:
- Road Lodge Rivonia (1.7km from the venue, 4 min drive)
- Rivonia Bed and Breakfast (2.8km from the venue, 8 min drive)
- City Lodge Sandton, Morningside (6.5km from the venue, 13 min drive)
- Montecasino Hotels (9km from the venue, 22 min drive)
- Protea Hotel Balalaika (7.7km from the venue, 15 min drive)
- Michelangelo Hotel Sandton (9km from venue, 19 min drive)
- Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton (8km from the venue, 18 min drive)
- Holiday Inn Sandton (8km from the venue, 18 min drive)
Accommodation is listed in no specific order. Since December is the main holiday month in South Africa, guests are recommended to make bookings soon after notification of acceptance is released. Shuttles will be available for selected hotels to and from the venue. Further information will be provided at a later stage.
Please notify the conference organisers as soon as possible should you require an invitation letter for visa purposes.
The following taxi services can be considered:
Kindly arrange a shuttle through your hotel for transport from the airport to your hotel due to the high number of unregistered cab companies which operate in and around the international airport in Johannesburg.
Private car rental
For the freedom to travel anywhere in Johannesburg, or even the larger country, private car rental is highly recommended. It should be noted that in South Africa cars drive on the left hand-side of the road, and steering wheels are on the right hand-side of the car. The following car rental companies can be considered:
Flights within South Africa
For those guests wishing to extend their stay in South Africa, and who wish to visit the rest of the country, the following local airlines fly to all destination across the country from Johannesburg:
Should you wish to visit the rest of South Africa before or after the conference, we recommend you finalise holiday bookings by latest end of September. December is the main holiday month in South Africa, and most holiday venues are fully booked throughout the month.
Below is an in-exhaustive list of a few things recommended for those wishing to explore Johannesburg:
- Maboneng and the Cradle of Humankind
- Lion Safari Park
- Maropeng & Sterkfontein Caves
- South African Breweries Tour
- Tours of Soweto
- Nelson Mandela Square
- Top Restaurants in Johannesburg
The following tourism sites can also be consulted for planning your stay in South Africa:
- Joburg Tourism
- South African Tourism
- Lonely Planet: Johannesburg and South Africa
- Wikitravel: Johannesburg and South Africa